Wingage Score: 89%
Address: 84 James Street - St Catharines
Parking: On street or Market Square
Intersection: Church & James
Last Reviewed: November 21st, 2012
Last Visited: November 28th, 2013
|RIP - June 2019
|BHON - Nov 2012
RIP - June 2019:
Closed and sold to property developers for future condo development.
Overall - Nov 2012:
Anyone who grew up in the St. Catharines / Niagara area should remember this venerable downtown landmark. Gord’s was one of the most popular downtown bars, catering to the varying musical interests of the day from the punk era of the 70’s to the new-wave, electro-pop of the 80’s to the industrial and alternative of the 90’s. For close to three decades it stood at this James Street location across from the Market Square until finally shutting its doors in 1999.
This landmark building later became The Honest Lawyer, where it continued as a downtown hotspot until closing again in January of 2008. It sat vacant for several years until the summer of 2011 when it was purchased by the DiDivitiis family with the intent of returning it to its former glory.
So....how did it do as a potential BHON spot? Here’s the highlights of the evening....
- Guinness at under $6 a pint!
- A pound of wings with fresh cut fries and veggies for $6 on thursday nights!
- Wings were large, lightly but not excessively breaded, hot and saucy.
- Buffalo buttery hot, kicked up a notch were excellent!
- Several other flavours of wings available including a Rickard’s Red BBQ that was quite unique.
- Fresh cut fries were crispy, not soggy and very good!
- Hot servers brought the TAVAR score up significantly.
- Live music (aka DJ Sucksalot or whatever his name was) played decent music, that was niether too loud, nor too annoying!
Overall we were quite impressed. The bill was less than $30 per person which made the night a good value and definitely worthy of a future revisit. If they keep it up, they’ll likely earn a spot in the BHON 90 percentile!